When circles freez

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Introduction

Hello people.

My name is Peter Elvin and I've been spinning Poi for roghly three years ( a friend of mine got me into it ) . Or more accurately, two and a half. I actually took half a years break after learning the basics ( Which took 'bout a month ).

Last year, the summer of 2006 I participated in the event called NPC, Nordic Poi Convention. It was the first of it's kind and I was able to convince my parents that I really wanted to do this. On my way down from northern Sweden by buss I was also accompanied by two new found friends ( Sebra and Footfalls ), who lived 70km away from me. It was a wonderful journey, the first of it's kind for me. And the trigger which would make my passion burst into flames.

I had never met other fire-artists before. At most I had talked with some over the internet or watched some videos, but never ever witnessed it live ( Except watching myself ). To be honest up untill this point I had always practiced by myself, with only the internet as my refference. I was able to go through some very inspirational workshops at NPC. I also made some really good friends.

One of the biggest attraction at NPC was the appearance of Nick Woolsey, one of the big names within the Poi world. There shouldn't be a soul who within the Poi world who doesn't know him... honestly. I was also able to see Thomas "Fireheart" One among the more well known names here in sweden. There were also a heap of other very inspirational and talented people there, among them, but not limited to: Ficklampa, Agge, Ceasar, Svedin, Serpen. And all you others who were just.. AMAZING! Sorry that i'm such a jerk with names. Many thanks for a great convention!

I learned many things. However the workshops might have been very difficult I don't think the aim was "Learn this now" or the general feel of all the workshops were "This is something you will need to work on to get right, but this is how to start, and how you need to tackle it to proceed". Which is a much better approach then aiming on teaching something then and there and not how the people beeing taught how to teach themselves ( Hope that made sense ).

---

After the convention I have never put down my practice poi or firepoi for more then perhaps a few days. And right now it continues to grow on me. It feels as more and more of my days are filled with thinking, acting out my ideas, trying theories with my Poi. In a pursuit for technical greatness and my own personal flow.

Today I discovered great many things:
1, Horisontal Buzzaw Founatins does look very similar like their normal counterparts with fire. This might just be because I still havn't got the planes stright with my fire-poi... Very possible.
2,Hybrid weave ( only one side )
3,That I keep my legs to close to my body, all my moves and my entire flow will be better if I keep a more steady pose with my legs.
4,That standing with my entire body slightly angled to the left ( facing away from the viewers ) will allow my left arm ( in flower movement ) to do that littl extra for the flowers to look cleaner.
5,Began working with polyrythmic moves
6,Tried some 1,5 move variations. Like 1,5 beats weave. However no success.

I think that's it for today. So I should keep in mind to work with my legs, a stronger pose for all the moves is needed. I also need to work on my Horisontal planes. The next horisontal move to learn completely is the horisontal spiralwrap around the hands. My friend inspired me to make a spiralwrap around the neck as well, completely possible i might add. Also completely dangerous!

Today I put myself on fire for the first time. It was a piece of jeans that caught fire when I was doing a part of the weave "Under The Leg". I have it on video and will upload it later. There was a piece of cloth hanging loose from the jeans which caught fire. I didn't harm myself in any way. To be honest, I actually laughed. I've never burned myself with my Poi, but now at least I have caught fire once, and now I know, I don't panic. I take it pretty cool.

Things are really coming together now. Every monday I go to our own practice-hall, meet up with the other spinners in the vicininty. talk to them and spin together. It won't be long 'til we get the ball rolling for real. Things are looking up in northern sweden, and this ball won't stop rolling until the katamari is satisfied. Before that we hope to have made a significant impact on the entire Poi community in some way. It might start from something small, but all life does.

No comments: